Tuesday, October 6, 2009

A Local Hero

When I arrived in Haebaru just over 4 years ago, there was a lot for me to learn about the little town nestled in the center of Okinawa Island. I had no idea how to; properly separate my rubbish, find any of my schools, speak the language, or find the towns local hero. It took me months to figure out how to properly sort my rubbish so that they would actually take it, I got lost countless times trying to find my way around, I still fumble with some of the most basic concepts of the Japanese Language (let alone the local Dialect), BUT I can still remember the day that I learned about Haebaru Town's local hero, KABOCHA MAN (Pumpkin Man). I was sitting in my supervisors office and she showed my a picture of a green power ranger type of "Super Hero". She explained to me in broken English that this was the Town's very famous Hero / Idol. How awesome is that! My new town's very own Super Hero. I was hoping that he could come and teach me how to be awesome and separate my rubbish properly!

Today I was in for a treat. I learned early this morning that the Grade 7 students would have a special guest after lunch. KABOCHA MAN was coming to the school!!!!! He came and defeated some bad guys who were holding the teachers hostage. It was sweet.

[Kabocha Man keeping it real]

In other news, today's weather has been pretty interesting. As you may recall, I have been worried about Super Typhoon Melor coming to Okinawa and ruining my plans to leave for Tokyo. Well, here is a picture from the school grounds today at about 2:00 pm. Beautiful day (although quite humid).

[Haebaru JH School Grounds]

By the time I got home from work, the wind had really started to pick up. As I sit in my house at 8:30 pm the doors and windows are shaking and rattling. Nothing serious luckily! It looks as though Typhoon Melor is going to just skim past Okinawa and head up to blast mainland Japan.

[Typhoon Melor - Tuesday Night]

It looks like Aoi and I will get to Tokyo after all!!!!!!! YAY! The Typhoon will follow us there...but at least we can get to Tokyo and make our Appointment at the Canadian Embassy!

No comments:

Post a Comment