Friday, October 16, 2009

Slow Cooked Chicken Soup/Stew

I love slow cookers and slow cooking. They are INGENIOUS !

I had boiled some chicken drumsticks to make "chicken wings" the other day and I had the leftover chicken stock. I hate throwing it away, it seems like such a waste. So I took a quick peak in my tiny freezer and somewhat bare cupboards in search of a few items that I could easily throw into the slow cooker. I ended up creating a somewhat simple Tomato Chicken Soup Base with minced Onions, Celery, Carrot, Parsley, Garlic ... corn, a can of tomato sauce, white wine, and S&P. I put two frozen chicken thighs (with skin) on top and put it in the fridge until the next morning.

When I turned the slow cooker on low at about 8:15 am, I threw in some chopped fresh basil and gave it a little stir. I returned home at 4:30 pm and gave it a taste .. it was not very good .. it tasted like carrot water .. eeew. So I had to make some adjustments. A was not to be home from work until 9 pm, so I had some time to fix it. I took the chicken out, removed the skin, shred it with 2 forks, and put it back in the slow cooker. I added some Thyme, Tarragon, Spicy Chili Garlic Sauce (quite a bit), and a few boiled and chopped potatoes.

By 9 pm it had turned into a MASTERPIECE! For realz. I put dollop of Sour Cream and chopped fresh parsley on top and away we went. I would recommend experimenting with slow cookers! So fun and so easy!

No comments:

Post a Comment