Thursday, January 21, 2010

School Lunch - 学校給食 - Thursday

THURSDAY'S MENU


「牛乳、きんぴらごぼう、やさいいりかまぼこ、みそしる、ごはん』

[ Milk, Braised Burdock Root, Vegetable Fish-Paste Cake (Kamaboko), Miso Soup with Seaweed and Mushrooms, White Rice ]

Rating: * * * * 4 Stars

Comments: I love burdock root. It has a wonderful earthy flavour. The miso soup was great and very healthy! I don't care for Kamaboko (Fish-Paste Cake) at all. Somehow I always find Kamaboko in one of my dishes at lunch. Apparently it is very amusing to watch Julie carefully pick out/separate the Kamaboko from lunch that day. Hilarious.

Since I hate Kamaboko, before I ate lunch I made a few modifications. I gave my Kamaboko to another teacher, and added some Shiso Furikake to my white rice. I keep a small Jar or Shiso Furikake in my desk for days that I feel the need to pep up my white rice. Putting Soy Sauce on top of white rice is not an acceptable thing to do...ever. Shiso is an amazing herb that I learned about while living in Japan. It is dried and then mixed with salt and who knows what to make it Furikake. Furikake is a dry condiment sprinkled over top of rice to give some extra zip. You can find all different flavours of Furikake.


[ Shiso Furikake for my Rice ]

[ My modified lunch tray ]

No comments:

Post a Comment