Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Silver Week

I love holidays in Japan! There seems to be at least one a month and often there are a few holidays next to each other. This week has been particularly awesome! I have holidays from September 18th - 23rd.
Beginning in 2000, Japan implemented the Happy Monday System (ハッピーマンデー制度) which moved a number of national holidays to Monday in order to obtain a "long weekend".

I took Nenkyu (paid vacation) on Friday because I was at a wedding on Thursday. On Sunday, I went to some of my students Elementary School for their Undokai (Sports Day). It was a HOT and sunny day. The kids did a great job of being awesome and cute!

[Ready, Set, GO!]

[Spectating]

[Flag Kids]

After the Undokai, I went with some friends to a Thai Restaurant (Kurukuma) down south that has delicious food and a spectacular view. I love Okinawa!


Later on Sunday night I went to A's Company Beach (BBQ) Party. It was at Tropical Beach. The weather continued to be perfect and the food was yummy. Beef, Sausages, Yakisoba, Cold Somen, and Beer!

[Tropical Beach Sunset - Taken through my Sunnies]

Monday the 21st of September is Respect for the Aged Day [敬老の日 Keirō no hi ] A holiday to honor Elderly Japanese. The oldest person in the WORLD right now is Kama Chinen. She is 114 years old and was born in OKINAWA, JAPAN!

Tuesday the 22nd is a National Holiday. The Japanese Government declared this day to be a "Citizens Holiday"...meaning this is a holiday for holiday's sake. Sweeet!

Wednesday the 23rd is Autmunal Equinox Day. Yes! In Japan, Seasonal Equinox's are public holidays!!!! YEAH! So there you have it! Silver Week.

I am taking the time to catch up on sleep, clean my house, and just relax! It's great!

No comments:

Post a Comment