Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Ume Shiso Chicken Skewers

[The Skewers going into the Roaster (Broiler)]

I am trying to experiment with Ume Paste. Ume is a common ingredient found in Japanese cooking. I don't really know how to use it. The Umeboshi one might find in a bento is not something that I enjoy because it is just toooo salty crazy powerful for me. BUT the Ume paste is really delicious because it is mixed with other flavours. I cooked the skewers in the Japanese Fish Fryer part of my "oven/stove". They turned out really nice.....almost slow cooked/roasted.

[The Ume Paste]

I bought a jar of the Ume paste after I had an Ume and Chicken Sandwich (yumm!). When I opened it up it smelled MUCH more fishy than I thought it would....not smelling very good for sandwiches...... So I decided to make some yakitori . First, I put the chicken pieces on the (damp) wooden skewers. Sprinkled with a salt and pepper mix. A thin coat of Ume paste on one side....and into the oven they went. On VERY low heat until they were cooked. When they were done I put some fresh SHISO on top!

[Thinly Chopped Shiso]

They turned out wonderful! My only recommendations would be to watch how much salt you put on the skewers because the Ume paste is actually quite salty as well AND don't overcook the chicken or it will be like cardboard.

[The finished product]

Go get your skewers on!

2 comments:

  1. Looks fantastic! And I think I have actually seen Umeboshi paste at an awesome vietnamese supermarket, so i'll have to pick some up and experiment. Keep your cooking adventures coming on the blog! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will try my best to put up some quality cooking adventure blogs for ya!

    ReplyDelete